Monday, August 5, 2013

RIP Art Donovan

ArtThe sports world was saddened this morning with the passing of football legend from the glory days of Football– Art Donovan.

A tough DT from the Baltimore Colts, one could easily get lost in his accolades -

  • WW2 US Marine Veteran (1942-1946)
  • Played 12 seasons, 138 games
  • Five-time consecutive Pro Bowl Selection (1953-1957)
  • Four-time consecutive first-team All-Pro (1954-1957)
  • First Colt to enter Pro Football Hall of Fame (1968)
  • Part of 1958, 1959 NFL champion Baltimore Colts
  • Began NFL play with Baltimore as a 26-year-old rookie (1950)
  • U.S. Marine Corps Sports Hall of Fame (2004)

When my son made the Columbia Colts and asked for #70 – I personally found it very fitting.  While the number was lost on him (those kids today) – I knew my son, and to say he reminded me a bit of the "Ol Bulldog” was an understatement.

Now – whenever I see that framed #70 Colts Jersey in his room….it has extra meaning.

Of course, us being SmokesAndBooze – it is only fitting to close with this famous quote:

"I told my wife that if she didn't bury me with a case of Schliz in the coffin, I was going to come back and haunt her." ~ Art Donovan

RIP Art – If I can find one…I’ll drink a Schliz for you tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics