Thursday, January 12, 2012

Government Regulations

I open today with a quote from pastor Martin Niemoeller -

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Why is this important?  Because the government is trying to take away people’s rightstto consume/use legal substances.  It started with Prohibition, but that was repealed.  Now we have the draconian smoking regulations (from package labeling, employers restricting employment based on use, to silly sin taxes).  Also, don’t forget the non-S&B related restrictions on purchasing sudafed.

Where does it end?

Apparently it doesn’t.

Now that alcoholism is declared a disease, enter the CDC -

CDC Report: Binge Drinking Rates in the US “Alarming -

From this article, we get some interesting tidbits -

  • Binge Drinking is defined as 5 drinks at a setting for men and 4 for women.
  • 38 Million (13% of the population do this every month
  • Rich people Binge more often
  • Poor people drink more
  • American’s are not smart -
    • “It is alarming to me that Americans are not being smart in knowing how to respect the effects of alcohol,” Alvarez said, “it’s putting their health in jeopardy.”
  • Binge Drinking cost $223 BILLION in healthcare in 2006
  • Education is the key

You know what I say about this?  BULLSHIT.

People already know that drinking is bad for them…but we continue to do so because we enjoy it.

Quit making up statistics that justify your existence and focus on real diseases that need treatment. 

Lifestyle choice is not a disease, but it will only be a matter of time before the government tries to regulate Alcohol consumption….mark my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics