Monday, October 24, 2011

Beer, Whisky and Lamb–Does it get any better?

This past Sunday, Debi saw a post on Facebook from our friends at 44Stone and that inspired us to head into CoMO for dinner.

It had been some time since we were last there (it always seems we show up on a Monday) and I was excited to try their current Tap Lineup (picture lifted from the 44Stone FB page).

308700_2569213676237_1431070708_32934016_501559997_n

I am familiar with all the breweries represented, but this was the first time I had seen Modus, Hobgoblin and He’Brew on tap in Columbia.

He’Brew Genesis 15:15 –

PrintI’m not  a big barley wine drinker, but Debi is, so it was a no brainer for her to get this and I got to give it a try.

Not as sweet as most barley wines, 15:15 has a heavy Malt and Brown Sugar taste.  Hints of fruit (Dates and Raisins) and vanilla round out the profile and make this a very interesting offering.  While not something I would normally order, I could appreciate the complexity and craftsmanship that went into its creation an I think it would make an excellent dessert drink.

Added Trivia – Genesis 15:15 Passage is very fitting – “And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age”

Modus Hoperandi -

M_H_-logoThis is a beer I frequently pickup from HyVee, but had never had on Tap.  From Ska Brewing in Colorado, Modus Hoperandi is a perfect beer for the HopHeads out there.  From the slightly cloudy pour, you can pick up a nose of citrus, pine and hops that carries through as you drink.  An excellent beer that I am very excited to have available here in Columbia.  Great Addition.

Hobgoblin Dark English Ale-

59279585-177x150-0-0I had been introduced to Hobgoblin way back in the day by Kevin at the Tinderbox (we still miss you).  He was always good at bringing in unique beers for the various seasons, and I am happy to see 44 Stone carry on in that light.

From Wychwood Brewery in the UK (glad to see the English represented), this clear dark brown ale has a chocolaty nose and carries with it a full bodied toffee and chocolate flavor.  Malty overtones almost hide the hints of smoke, but compliment a slightly hoppy finish.

Bunnahabhain 25 Year Old -

bunna_logo

Hey, I’m entitled to some indulgences from time to time <Grin> and to wrap the night, I went with something on the high-end side.  I’m glad I did.

The nose of this fine whisky reminded me of roasted vanilla beans, caramel and a hint of coconut.  I was totally surprised by the satiny and viscous mouth feel that blended beautifully with flavors spice, berries, toffee and oak (with just a wee bit of sea salt).  Without a doubt, one of the creamiest Scotches I have ever had….and well worth the money.  Outstanding choice by Dave to add to the list.

Finally, it wouldn’t be fair to not mention the food.  I really love the menu offerings at 44 Stone.  They are constantly looking for new ways to challenge the palate and the current special sets a very high bar -

SprintPhoto_bmumucTheO’Fallon Pumpkin Beer Marinated & Grilled Lamb T-Bone Chops (5oz each), Balsamic Honey Glaze, Blue Cheese Butter, Mint & Sweet Pea Pesto, Roasted Butternut Squash with Baby Spinach, Truffled Yukon Gold Potato Hash

The picture doesn’t even come close to doing this justice.  Perfectly seared on the outside, cool rare goodness on the inside.  Each bite was delicious.  To say I was in awe of the flavor combinations (in particular, the Mint and Sweet Pea Pesto) would be an understatement.  I would rate this as one of the best entrees I have had all year, which is saying something if you knew some of the places we have eaten lately.  If you like lamb, you are doing yourself a disservice for not immediately heading over to 44 Stone and ordering this dish. 

In closing, I think it goes without saying that we had a great time.  Everything about the evening was awesome (although my son says they should yell more in the kitchen, like Gordon Ramsey).  A big thank you to Dave and the staff for being great hosts…..and please keep us in mind when you do the Whiskey Dinner.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics